While you can temporarily alleviate acute or chronic pain conditions in many ways, why not address your discomfort at the source? Our chiropractors and physical therapists can apply the Gonstead chiropractic technique in Marco Island to develop a treatment plan for your condition.
The Gonstead technique helps the Naples Community Injury Center team determine the source of your pain. From there, we can suggest physiotherapy and chiropractic treatments to relieve pain and help you heal. Contact us at (239) 631-5445 to schedule your first appointment and ask any questions you have about chiropractic care.
Table of Contents
What Is the Gonstead Technique?
According to StatPearls, the Gonstead chiropractic technique focuses on precisely diagnosing your condition. Rather than starting you off with spinal manipulations or stretching exercises, our team uses the Gonstead technique to identify the exact problem area.
The Gonstead technique involves the following methods:
- Instrumentation: We take your body temperature and check for areas of inflammation to decide when the best time for a chiropractic adjustment is.
- Digital palpation: Your chiropractor will check your spine manually to find exactly where your misalignment is.
- Motion palpation: We will ask you to perform specific movements that demonstrate where your spinal misalignment is.
- Visual analysis: You will sit, stand, or lay in different postures while our team looks at your spine. This will visually demonstrate where the issue is.
- X-rays: We might take X-ray images to better understand the source of your pain.
Once we understand where to focus treatment, we can use thrust techniques to gently force your spine back into the correct position. Physical therapy techniques might also become a part of your treatment plan.
Using Physical Therapy Treatments in Conjunction With the Gonstead Technique
After determining the location of your spinal misalignment, we can provide a personalized treatment plan to address your symptoms and help you heal. We might employ the following physiotherapy techniques to aid in your recovery:
- Electrical stimulation (ES): This physical therapy method involves applying painless electrical currents to the site of your injury. ES helps with pain management and helps your body heal.
- Rehabilitation exercises: We can teach you strength and resistance exercises to support muscle and bone health as you recover.
- Massage therapy: Massages help loosen tight muscles and improve circulation. This may enable you to regain some range of motion and flexibility.
What Medical Conditions Does the Gonstead Technique Help With?
Patients with neck pain, back pain, and certain chronic conditions may benefit from the Gonstead technique. We can apply the Gonstead technique to patients with the following issues:
- Acute accident injuries, such as those arising from car accidents, slip and falls, and motorcycle collisions
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Sports injuries
- Headaches caused by neck or back issues
We can also treat chronic conditions like:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Inflammatory arthritis
- Chronic back pain
Benefits of Treating Your Condition With Chiropractic Care and Physical Therapy
You might be hesitant to pursue physiotherapy or chiropractic treatments. Our team will do everything possible to make you feel comfortable and at ease during your visits to our office.
Many patients choose to seek treatment at Naples Community Injury Center because of the benefits our treatments provide, such as:
- It can help reduce pain and make your everyday activities easier. If you play sports, enjoy hobbies that require repetitive motions, or work a job that requires manual labor, you may need a break from these activities to recover. Chiropractic care and physical therapy may reduce downtime by ensuring your body remains active.
- It may prevent re-injury. We can work with you to improve your muscle strength, flexibility, and balance to reduce the likelihood of injuries.
- It might help you avoid taking pain medications for a long time. Our treatments are meant to reduce the pain you feel, so medications might not be necessary.
- It can help you avoid surgery or recover after your surgery. Chiropractic care and physiotherapy often help reduce post-surgery downtime.
- It is a non-invasive way of reducing your pain and discomfort.
Preparing for Your First Appointment at Naples Community Injury Center
We know you may feel uncomfortable and nervous when you come for your first chiropractic appointment. We assure you that if there are any treatments that you don’t feel comfortable with, we will adjust your treatment plan as desired.
Before visiting our office for your appointment, consider preparing by:
- Choosing comfortable clothes. This may include athletic clothing, sweatpants, or other items that won’t restrict your movement.
- Creating a list of your symptoms. Though we will use the Gonstead technique to determine your problem area, we can benefit from understanding the symptoms you’ve noticed.
- Coming ready to answer questions about your medical history. We will need to know about any surgeries you’ve undergone and medications you take. Our team will ask you questions to get a complete picture of your health.
Once you’ve started treatment, we will note your progress and continue to assess your condition. Let us know how you’re feeling along the way. We prioritize your comfort and well-being, so feel free to voice your feelings with our team.
Call Our Team Today to Learn More About the Gonstead Technique and Schedule Your First Appointment
You don’t have to keep dealing with the pain of your chronic condition or acute injury any longer. Our team can apply the Gonstead technique to determine where your pain is coming from. Then, we’ll create a treatment plan that aims to reduce your pain and help you return to your usual activities.
Give us a call at your earliest convenience. We have appointments open and can work around your schedule. Call (239) 631-5445 with any questions and to book your first appointment.