If you suffer from asthma, you may rely on medicine and inhalers and frequently worry about when an attack will occur. Fortunately, non-invasive treatments like chiropractic adjustments and physical therapy can help you and offer longer-lasting effects. Spinal manipulations, specifically, alleviate inflammation and improve nerve function.
Whatever your needs, Naples Community Injury Center is here to listen to about how your asthma has affected you physically and emotionally. This way, our doctors serving Marco Island can construct an asthma treatment plan that tackles the problems you personally face. Connect with us at (239) 631-5445 today to set up your first appointment.
We May Use Chiropractic Adjustments to Treat Your Asthma
Our chiropractors may suggest you undergo one or both of these methods of chiropractic care:
- Reflexology: This technique is based on the idea that every part of the body is connected. The doctor will press on different pressure points in your hands and feet to help relieve discomfort caused by asthma.
- Spinal manipulations: The doctor uses their hands or special tools to exert a force that realigns your spine, helping to reduce the severity of your asthma symptoms.
A study in the Journal of Manipulative & Physiological Therapeutics shows that patients who received spinal manipulations experienced a reduction in the intensity of their asthma.
Benefits of Receiving Chiropractic Care for Asthma
Chiropractic care can help alleviate asthmatic symptoms by:
- Reducing inflammation: Asthma causes inflammation and blocks airways. Once the doctor relieves some of this pressure on the nerves, they can communicate more efficiently, which helps counter asthma symptoms.
- Adjusting your spine into proper alignment: When your spine is misaligned, it can affect your lung function and trigger asthmatic responses.
- Working as a long-term option: Nebulizers, inhalers, and other medicines may only be a temporary fix for your asthmatic symptoms and attacks. Chiropractic adjustments can get to the root cause and provide structural solutions.
By maintaining a healthy, well-aligned spine, you might see an improvement in your quality of life.
Physiotherapy Can Help You Maintain a Strong and Healthy Body
Naples Community Injury Center offers physiotherapy to supplement your chiropractic care. We may suggest you incorporate the following methods:
- Massage therapy to relieve nerve compression
- Electrical stimulation therapy to reduce inflammation
- Rehabilitation to focus on building muscle
- Strength training and stretching to improve your range of motion and flexibility
- Corrective care to maintain a solid body structure
If you feel uneasy about any of these treatments or if they cause any discomfort, let your physician know. From there, we can see where we need to adjust your plan so you do not feel pushed too far.
Check Out What Our Patients Said About Working With Our Team Serving Marco Island
Our goal at Naples Community Injury Center is to help you feel your best. In doing so, we sit down with you so we get a full understanding of what you’re going through. Many of our past patients have appreciated this approach. Here are some of their reviews:
“NCIC is amazing! The staff is beyond exceptional and understanding. Doctor Nieves knows exactly what he’s doing and aside from a good personality he listens to an individuals and needs and makes sure the needs are met. The staff at the front office has been great with time management as we work 8:30-4 every weekday so accommodating us has never been an issue.” – Mo R.
“…From the receptionist to the treatment service is first class. Dr. Oscar Nieves is an excellent professional with great medical skills and knowledge, but above all a great human being with great empathy and commitment to the needs of his patients. He is incredibly humble and compassionate and does everything on his power to find the cause that bring us to his office and offers the appropriate treatment so that we can return to normalcy. I definitely recommend Naples Community Injury Center.” – Ines P.
How Our Doctors Will Build Your Marco Island Asthma Treatment Plan
We build each patient’s treatment plan with their unique needs in mind. As an asthma patient, you may be asked questions regarding:
- The severity of your asthma
- How long you’ve been dealing with it
- Your asthmatic symptoms
- Your triggers
- How often you have an attack
- If you’re on any medication
- What helps alleviate your symptoms
Please bring in your medical records or any other documentation that could better equip us when we’re determining how we’ll treat you. We may conduct a physical exam, but sometimes, we order different tests to get the clearest picture of your condition.
An Overview of Asthma
Mayo Clinic describes asthma as a condition in which the airways swell, narrow, and potentially produce extra mucus. Some people have minor symptoms, but others experience severe asthma attacks that interfere with their lives. This condition does not have a cure, but you can manage the symptoms, which may include:
- Chest pain or tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Coughing fits
Certain factors can irritate the lungs and trigger a flare-up or even an asthma attack, such as:
- Cold, dry air
- Chemical fumes or gases
- Mold spores
- Pet dander
- Other allergens and airborne substances
Sometimes, asthma attacks can be life-threatening. Speak to your doctor to help you identify when your symptoms get worse. That way, you won’t risk them getting out of control. Symptoms that usually call for emergency assistance may be your wheezing not improving after using the inhaler several times, shortness of breath from doing nominal physical activity, or the wheezing and shortness of breath becoming more rapid and difficult to control.
Our Doctors Are Ready to Help Treat and Manage Your Asthma
At Naples Community Injury Center, we want to address the issue that’s contributing to your asthmatic flare-ups- not put a bandage over it with a bunch of pills. We’re ready to give you the custom treatment plan you need.
If you live in Marco Island, our doctors can provide asthma treatment that will aim to improve your quality of life. Call us today at (239) 631-5445 to find out more.