Four examples of common shoulder injuries from a car accident are:
- Joint injuries
- Rotator cuff injuries
What matters most are the injuries you have suffered because of a car accident. A personalized treatment plan may help you recover as soon as possible. Call Naples Community Injury Center today at (239) 631-5445 to discuss how we may treat your shoulder injuries.
Shoulder Injuries That Can Result From a Car Accident
Each car accident happens in a different manner, and there are many scenarios in which a shoulder can sustain an injury. A car accident victim may be vulnerable to a shoulder injury if:
- An airbag strikes them awkwardly
- A vehicle contorts or rolls in a way that puts the shoulder under abnormal strain
- An accident victim’s shoulder becomes entangled in a seatbelt
- The accident victim’s shoulder makes contact with hard surfaces such as the dashboard, door, or road
Our doctors see a wide range of injuries in car accident victims, and we work hard to provide answers and treatment plans that help those victims recover and move forward with their lives. Shoulder injuries can be painful and interfere with the most basic aspects of living life. We ensure that our patients understand their injuries and have a clear recovery plan, including those patients who suffer.
The Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM) analyzed motor vehicle accidents and observed victims suffer fractures of the:
Joint Dislocations and Pain
The AAAM also noted that “joint traumas” associated with fractures of the shoulder can result from motor vehicle accidents. The Indian Journal of Orthopaedics also notes that acromioclavicular joint (ACJ) pain can result or worsen after a traffic accident.
Furthermore, StatPearls explains that the shoulder joint is the most dislocated joint in the body. It explains that a shoulder joint can dislocate in virtually any direction. When a shoulder dislocation happens, there is also a risk that fibrous tissue near the joint will be stretched or torn, resulting in further injury.
Rotator Cuff Injuries
Mayo Clinic explains that the rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons that help stabilize the shoulder. Car accidents are a possible cause of rotator cuff injuries, including:
A rotator cuff injury suffered in a car accident may contribute to long-term shoulder issues, such as tendinitis.
An injury commonly seen in victims of rear-end collisions, Mayo Clinic explains that whiplash can cause tenderness and pain in your shoulder area.
You may experience other shoulder injuries because of your car accident. Whatever injuries you suffer, you must receive a complete diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Naples Community Injury Center has helped many car accident survivors overcome significant shoulder injuries, and we want to help you forge the road to recovery.
Treatments That May Help Your Shoulder Injuries Heal After a Car Accident
Our team provides two primary therapies for those with shoulder injuries, which are:
Those with shoulder injuries often experience pain in nearby regions, including the back and neck. Chiropractic adjustments may address back pain and neck pain, which may reduce your overall pain and the amount of discomfort you feel in your shoulder.
Two primary chiropractic adjustments we offer are:
- Spinal manipulation: With this therapy, a licensed chiropractor completes controlled thrusts using their hands or a chiropractic device. These thrusts affect a joint in the spine but may produce benefits for the nervous system.
- Reflex therapy: Chiropractors may focus on your pressure points, including those in the hands or feet, to improve overall circulation and relieve pain. This therapy may also have an energizing effect.
A team of medical professionals and chiropractors can review your injuries to determine if one or more chiropractic adjustments should be part of your treatment plan.
Physiotherapy may be an effective therapy for those experiencing joint or muscle pain after a car accident. Rather than a single treatment, physiotherapy involves an eclectic approach that may include exercise therapy, massage therapy, and electrotherapy.
Some specific types of physiotherapy that may be effective for shoulder pain and other car accident-related injuries include:
- Musculoskeletal physiotherapy: This therapy specifically addresses muscle and joint pain. The goal of musculoskeletal physiotherapy is reducing inflammation, which may reduce pain and increase the range of motion.
- Neurological and rehabilitation physiotherapy: If your shoulder injury involves neurological damage, neurological and rehabilitation physiotherapy could be an effective treatment for your symptoms. Our team works to help assist your brain in overcoming nerve damage.
Several specific treatments fall under the physiotherapy umbrella, including:
- Resistance training
- Massage therapy
- Gait training
- Electrical stimulation
- Muscle energy techniques
- Spinal manipulation
Each of these treatments has specific aims. Our team will work with you to determine what array of treatments may most improve symptoms of a shoulder injury.
A Varied Medical Team of Doctors, Surgeons, and Pain-Relief Professionals Can Diagnose and Treat Shoulder Injuries Properly
No single medical professional knows it all, as each has their area of expertise and perspective on how to best treat patients. That’s why our team employs:
- A neurosurgeon
- Medical doctors
- Chiropractic physicians
- Physician assistants
- Chiropractic physician assistants
Collaboratively, our team will:
- Take medical images to diagnose your condition and gauge its severity
- Identify exactly which injuries you have suffered
- Explain the details of your condition to you, and explain the risks of allowing the condition to worsen without treatment
- Develop a comprehensive treatment plan aimed at alleviating and, hopefully, completely eradicating your injury symptoms
- Go over the plan with you
If you choose to pursue some or all of the treatments we advise, we will begin your treatment as soon as you are ready.
Call Naples Community Injury Center Today to Discuss Treatment for Your Shoulder Injury
The team at Naples Community Injury Center helps car accident victims address the pain that so often saps their quality of life. We will evaluate and treat your shoulder injury and any other accident-related ailments you’re suffering from.
Call Naples Community Injury Center today at (239) 631-5445 to discuss a treatment plan for your car accident-related shoulder injuries.