How many treatments you need for sciatica with a chiropractor depends on your condition. Cleveland Clinic explains that a chiropractor may remove sciatica pain in four visits or fewer, though each patient may experience different results from treatment. The severity of your symptoms and your unique response to treatment may affect your pain reduction timetable.
Sciatica pain can be debilitating. Fortunately, there are low-risk ways of relieving pain from your sciatic nerve. The treatments a chiropractor may use could provide quick relief for the symptoms you are experiencing.
What Is Sciatica?
MedlinePlus explains that sciatica:
- Occurs when there is a problem with your sciatic nerve, which is the largest nerve in the body that runs from your lower back to your feet
- Causes pain, tingling, and other abnormal feelings in areas connected to the sciatic nerve, including in your lower back and leg
- May require treatment, though in some cases sciatica may go away on its own
Those suffering from prolonged sciatica generally seek treatment. Though the cause of sciatica is not always obvious, there are several treatments that may alleviate symptoms temporarily or permanently.
Should I See a Chiropractor for Sciatica?
Living with sciatica can range from uncomfortable to painful and debilitating. You may consider seeing a chiropractor about your sciatica if:
- You have lived with the condition for weeks, months, or years without any improvement in symptoms
- You live an active lifestyle
- You simply do not want to live with sciatic pain
Chiropractic treatment is non-invasive and affordable, making it a popular choice of relief among those with sciatic pain.
Risks of Leaving Sciatica Untreated
The journal Cureus explains that sciatica can worsen with time, especially in those who do not seek treatment. The condition could be caused by compression of a spinal nerve or other potentially serious problems, and risks of untreated sciatica include:
- Progressive weakening of muscles affected by sciatica, including the potential loss of control over certain body parts
- Worsening pain
- Permanent nerve damage
- Loss of control over bladder and bowel function
There is no need to risk these serious health complications. A chiropractor, along with other medical professionals, will diagnose the source of your sciatica and administer safe, appropriate treatments.
Types of Treatments a Chiropractor May Use for Your Sciatica Pain
Our team offers several treatments for combatting sciatica, including:
- Chiropractic care: Our chiropractic adjustments involve swift, controlled thrusts in areas of your body where sciatic nerve pain may be originating from. These treatments are proven to reduce inflammation and fix structural problems causing pain in your body, including sciatic pain.
- Physical therapy: Our physical therapy techniques improve flexibility while boosting core strength. These benefits are associated with reduced sciatic pain and are regimens that you can use on your own for long-term results.
- Pain management techniques: We combine non-invasive therapy with medication to mitigate sciatic pain to the greatest degree we can.
- Rehabilitation: Those with chronic forms of sciatica may use rehabilitative techniques to reduce ongoing pain.
Our team provides a personalized treatment plan for each patient struggling with sciatica. We ensure that you understand the reasoning behind each treatment approach and that you’re comfortable with our plan to help you overcome sciatica.
Studies Support the Safety and Benefit of Chiropractic Treatment for Sciatica Pain
Data shows that chiropractic treatment for sciatica is:
- Conservative and safe: The journal Frontiers in Pain Research notes that the first treatment approach for sciatica should be a conservative one with minimal risk. While sciatica can cause serious pain if left untreated, the condition is not life-threatening and should be treated progressively. The journal notes that chiropractic treatments like spinal manipulative therapy (SMT) are “conservative” compared with other treatment courses.
- Effective: The journal Plos One found that chiropractic treatment is “effective” in treating lower back pain and other symptoms of sciatic pain.
- Affordable: Chiropractic care for sciatica may be more cost-effective when compared with treatment alternatives including surgery.
Chiropractic treatment for sciatic pain is also readily available, including at Naples Community Injury Center.
Our Team Offers a Medicine-Based Approach to Treating Sciatica With Chiropractic Methods
While we employ chiropractors, we also offer the services of:
- Medical doctors
- Physician assistants
- Chiropractic physician assistants
- A neurosurgeon
We will conduct all necessary imaging to identify the cause of your sciatica, consider the pros and cons of each treatment course, and administer a plan most appropriate for your sciatic condition.
While our goal is to mitigate your pain to the greatest possible degree, your safety and comfort are paramount.
How Long Will It Take a Chiropractor to Fix Your Sciatica?
Once we have conducted all necessary tests and imaging services, then spoken with you about your symptoms and condition, we will provide a timetable for treatment. This timeline can vary based on:
- The cause of your sciatica
- The severity of your sciatic condition
- Whether your sciatica is chronic, or results from a condition that may be eliminated with treatment
- Your unique response to treatment
Our goal is to get you back to full health as quickly as possible. If you have a chronic condition, we want you to be as pain-free as treatments allow.
Do Not Let Sciatica Rule Your Life—Take Back Control With a Chiropractor’s Help
Sciatica can prevent you from:
- Performing certain jobs
- Engaging in strenuous athletic activity (or even moderate exercise)
- Enjoying leisure activities that require walking
- Enjoying your life as you should
We see too many patients try to grit and bear their sciatic pain. This is not necessary, as relief could be only a few non-invasive treatments away.
Call Naples Community Injury Center Today for a Consultation About Chiropractic Care for Your Sciatica
Our team is ready to diagnose and treat your sciatica today. Don’t wait to get the relief you deserve.
Call Naples Community Injury Center today at (239) 631-5445 for a free consultation about relieving your sciatic nerve pain. Our goal is to relieve your symptoms as quickly as possible, prioritizing your safety and allowing you to rediscover a life free of sciatic pain.