Military neck, technically called cervical kyphosis, is a condition that causes unnatural curvature of the cervical spine. If you suffer from cervical kyphosis, chiropractic care may provide relief. Through a series of adjustments, a chiropractor may be able to correct the curvature of your neck and give you relief from symptoms like pain, decreased range of motion, and muscle weakness.
Top Reasons to Try Chiropractic Care for Military Neck Syndrome
Military neck syndrome can be extremely painful. You may suffer from headaches, neck pain, tingling and numbness, difficulty swallowing, and other uncomfortable symptoms. You may have difficulty looking up or down or moving your head naturally. Military neck symptoms can make it impossible to live life normally.
Chiropractic treatments can relieve these symptoms and help you regain normal functioning. Some of the top reasons to try chiropractic for military neck syndrome include:
- Chiropractic treatments can potentially restore the natural curvature of the neck, improving posture.
- Chiropractic treatments can improve circulation, mobility, range of motion, and overall functioning.
- Chiropractic treatments can reduce pain, stiffness, muscle weakness, numbness, tingling sensations, and other uncomfortable symptoms.
- Chiropractic treatments offer an alternative to invasive surgeries that many patients wish to avoid.
How a Military Neck Chiropractor Can Help You
The neck typically has a slight C-shaped curve that allows for easy movement and normal functioning. Cervical kyphosis is called “military neck” because it can make a person’s neck straighten out as if the person were standing at attention in the military.
This abnormal curvature of the neck can cause many uncomfortable symptoms, including but not limited to:
- Decreased range of motion – You may have difficulty moving your head and neck, making it hard to work, perform everyday tasks, and enjoy hobbies.
- Pain – You may experience pain in your neck, shoulders, back, and arms
- Tingling or numbness – Abnormal curvature of the neck can put pressure on nerves, causing tingling or numbness in your body
- Muscle weakness – You may notice that your muscles are weak, and you struggle to perform everyday tasks
- Downward gaze – You may appear as if you are always looking down.
- Dysphagia – The abnormal curvature of your neck may make eating and drinking difficult
- Headache – You may suffer from headaches that decrease the quality of your life
- Instability – You may find it hard to balance when standing or walking
Chiropractic treatment can address many of the symptoms caused by military neck syndrome. Chiropractic adjustments, strengthening exercises, and other treatments can encourage normal neck curvature and overall well-being.
Chiropractic Treatments for Military Neck Syndrome
Chiropractors use gentle force to reposition the spine and adjust the spine’s alignment. Over time, this can help restore normal curvature to the cervical spine. Chiropractic adjustments can reduce pressure on the nerves that cause pain, discomfort, and reduced mobility.
Before beginning any neck manipulations, the chiropractor will conduct a physical examination of your neck, look at how you sit and stand, and talk to you about the symptoms you’re experiencing. They may ask you to undergo X-rays or other imaging tests so they can fully understand the severity of the unnatural curvature.
Your treatment plan may include:
Manual Spinal Adjustments
Depending on your specific situation, the chiropractor may use their hands to apply force to specific areas of the cervical spine and to realign the vertebrae. Your chiropractor may use adjustment techniques such as:
- Diversified technique – This is when the chiropractor puts pressure on the specific joints to restore proper alignment. Moving joints causes gas from between the joints to suddenly release, causing small popping sounds.
- Thompson Drop-Table Technique – A drop table has segments that move up and down. The chiropractor can use the momentum of the table to aid in adjustments and make the adjustment more comfortable for the patient.
- Activator method – An activator adjustment instrument is a spring-loaded handheld device that provides a short, precise thrust. It can target specific areas of the spine.
Soft Tissue Manipulation
Chiropractors can use massage, stretching, and soft tissue manipulation to address military neck symptoms. Kneading and stretching the muscles, ligaments, and tendons can reduce muscle tension and promote relaxation.
Soft tissue manipulation can help reduce stiffness and improve range of motion, allowing you to move your head more easily. Soft tissue manipulation can also improve circulation to the area, improving the body’s healing process.
The chiropractor may guide you in a series of physical therapy strengthening exercises that target the muscles of the neck. When the neck muscles are stronger, they’re able to better support the neck and spine. The chiropractor may ask that you perform the exercises at home and then follow up with you on your progress at each session.
Range of Motion Exercises
Your chiropractor may also ask you to perform exercises that increase your range of motion. These exercises can reduce the stiffness and discomfort you experience when trying to look over your shoulder, twist from side to side, or look up and down.
Your chiropractor may also help you understand how your lifestyle and everyday activities may be worsening your symptoms. For example, poor posture while working at a desk, sleeping, or standing might be contributing to the abnormal curvature of your neck. Your chiropractor can help you learn how to avoid these issues and adjust your lifestyle to promote healing.
What Causes Military Neck?
Degenerative disc disease, ankylosing spondylitis, spine tumors, and other spine conditions can cause military neck syndrome. In some cases, people are born with military neck syndrome.
Trauma suffered in a car accident, sports injury, or repetitive stress from poor posture can also lead to abnormal cervical spine curvature. Your chiropractor will evaluate the cause of your condition to better understand how to treat it.
Consider Chiropractic for Military Neck Syndrome at Naples Community Injury Center
Military neck syndrome or cervical kyphosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine that can cause painful symptoms and reduced range of motion. If you suffer from this condition, consider trying chiropractic care.
At Naples Community Injury Center, our doctors have over 60 years of combined experience treating spine conditions like cervical kyphosis. We know how difficult it can be to live with this condition and we want to help you. Through manual adjustments, exercises, and lifestyle changes, we may be able to mitigate the symptoms of military neck and help you live a life with less pain.
Our team provides high-quality chiropractic care aimed at making you as comfortable as possible. You can read about the positive experiences and relief our previous patients experienced on our testimonials webpage. We always want to make sure patients leave our office feeling happier and healthier. Call us at (239) 631-5445 to schedule an appointment.