Although each patient is different, chiropractors often recommend receiving a chiropractic adjustment and then a therapeutic massage. Following this sequence of events can maximize the benefits of both treatments. The chiropractic adjustment realigns joints and relieves pressure and then the massage further promotes relaxation by relieving muscle tension and helping the body adjust to being in proper alignment. However, each patient is different and some patients may need a massage before their adjustment.
Whether aches and pains result from a slip and fall accident, car crash, work-related incident, or medical condition, these pains can significantly reduce your quality of life. Chiropractic adjustments and massage are valuable strategies for reducing pain, discomfort, and tension.
Your Chiropractor Will Determine the Treatment Options Right for You
There is no one-size-fits-all strategy when it comes to chiropractic care. An essential element of a chiropractor’s job is assessing the patient and determining a customized treatment plan based on that patient’s needs.
When you visit a chiropractor, discuss your symptoms. Are you suffering from neck pain, shoulder pain, backaches, muscle tension, or reduced mobility? Is your pain worse in the morning or after completing labor-intensive tasks? Have you been diagnosed with conditions such as degenerative disc disease? These types of questions help your chiropractor understand the best treatment options for you.
Visiting a Chiropractor Who Offers Massage Therapy
Many chiropractic offices offer massage in addition to other types of chiropractic care. Everyone knows that getting a massage feels great, but few understand the full scope of benefits massage offers. Massage reduces muscle tension, improves blood flow, promotes healing, and facilitates overall well-being.
Chiropractors often recommend that clients get a massage after receiving a chiropractic adjustment. During manual adjustments, misaligned bones and joints are put into proper alignment. This can create new sources of stress and strain on the body – especially if a person has been misaligned for a significant amount of time. Massage helps the body adjust to the new alignment and can reduce some of the muscle pain and tension commonly experienced after a chiropractic adjustment.
You May Want to Get a Massage After Seeing the Chiropractor
Chiropractic care and massage are complementary treatments that can provide pain relief and promote overall health and well-being. Typically, chiropractors suggest that you receive your adjustment before you get a massage. The human body can sometimes tense up after an adjustment. Soft tissue massage helps the body adapt to the changes and reduces muscle tightness.
However, this is not a hard and fast rule. In some cases, a chiropractor may suggest that you receive a massage before you get a chiropractic adjustment.
Why a Chiropractor May Recommend Massage Therapy
A chiropractor may recommend massage first if you are experiencing extremely tight muscles. Sometimes, muscles respond to joint misalignment by tightening and hardening around the joint to protect it.
Chiropractors may be unable to manipulate a joint if the muscles surrounding it are too tight. If significant muscle tension could interfere with a chiropractic adjustment, your chiropractor may suggest that you get a massage to reduce some of that tension first. However, decisions like these are made on a case-by-case basis. It’s important to consult with a chiropractor to determine the best treatment plan for your particular situation.
Benefits of Massage Therapy
Massage therapy involves manual manipulation of soft tissues and muscles. During the massage, the massage therapist will push, pull, kneed, and stretch tissues to promote relaxation and overall well-being. Most people find massages highly enjoyable. But they’re not only enjoyable, massages also have significant medical benefits, including:
- Muscle relaxation – Injuries, health conditions, and everyday stress on the body can lead to muscle tension and stiffness. Massage relieves muscle tension and helps the body relax.
- Pain relief – If you’re experiencing pain in your neck, back, shoulders, or extremities, massage therapy may provide relief.
- Releasing nerve compression – When nerves are compressed or squeezed, this can cause nerve pain throughout the body. Massage can help relieve nerve compression and associated pain.
- Improved flexibility – Massage can help the body stretch and move more easily.
- Reduced inflammation – If you have arthritis or inflammation because of an injury, massage therapy may help reduce the inflammation.
- Improved immune system functioning – Massage has been shown to improve the body’s ability to fight infections.
- Reduce stress – Receiving a massage doesn’t only have physical benefits, it also has significant emotional and psychological benefits. Massage therapy serves as a valuable means of stress reduction.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care
Massage and chiropractic adjustments each offer significant but different benefits. This is why it is useful to receive both chiropractic care and massage. Chiropractic adjustments can provide benefits such as:
- Improved range of motion – Chiropractic adjustments address misaligned joints which can reduce your range of motion. If you experience reduced mobility and flexibility because of musculoskeletal issues, chiropractic adjustments may restore your natural mobility.
- Pain relief – Chiropractic adjustments can alleviate pain caused by herniated discs, joint misalignment, nerve compression, and many other issues. Chiropractic adjustments may also reduce headaches and migraines.
- Improved nervous system functioning – Spinal misalignments can interfere with normal nervous system functioning. Chiropractic adjustments often focus on realigning the vertebrae surrounding the spinal cord, an essential component of the central nervous system. Restoring proper alignment can improve nerve signaling and overall nervous system functioning.
Massage and Chiropractic Care at Naples Community Injury Center
At Naples Community Injury Center, we believe that each patient deserves a personalized approach to pain relief. We use a variety of techniques to help our patients feel their best, including chiropractic adjustments and massage.
Our team prioritizes patient satisfaction and comfort above all else. We provide chiropractic care for patients suffering from back injuries, neck injuries, herniated discs, carpal tunnel, bursitis, sciatica, and many other conditions.
Call us today at (239) 631-5445 and set up an appointment to learn more about how we can help you. We look forward to speaking with you.